The Greek that is translated into English as “(this) generation” is translated as “the people now” into Chol, “those who are in space now” into Tzeltal or “you people” into Tlahuitoltepec Mixe. (Source: Bratcher / Nida; Mixe: Robert Bascom)
Generic terms for the Greek that is translated as “generation” include “(people of one) layer” (Ekari, Toraja-Sa’dan, Batak Toba), or “one storey of growing” (Highland Totonac, using a term also denoting a storey or floor of a building). (Source: Reiling / Swellengrebel)
See also generations and all generations.
The Greek that is typically translated in English as “sign” is translated in Huehuetla Tepehua as “thing to be marveled at” (source: Larson 1889, p. 279) and in Mairasi as “big work” (source: Enggavoter 2004).
Following are a number of back-translations of Matthew 16:4:
- Uma: “No kidding your evil, you still always deny God! You ask for miracles. But not one miracle will be shown to you. On the contrary, what will be shown it you is a sign like what happened to the prophet Yunus long ago.’ After that he left them.” (Source: Uma Back Translation)
- Yakan: “The people of this day are bad and do not follow God and ask for a sign. But there will be no sign shown to you except only the sign of Nabi Yunus of old.’ After that Isa left them and went away.” (Source: Yakan Back Translation)
- Western Bukidnon Manobo: “You people today, you are very bad. Love for God is no longer in your breath.’ Then Jesus said again ‘Why do you want to see a sign? The only sign which will be shown to you is like that sign which Jonah long ago was caused to do.’ And then he left them.” (Source: Western Bukidnon Manobo Back Translation)
- Kankanaey: “The people now are very-bad, because they have turned-their-backs-on the true God. They insist that I show them an amazing sign, but nothing will be shown except only the sign that is like what happened to Jonas back before.’ Jesus said that, then he left them and went-away.” (Source: Kankanaey Back Translation)
- Tagbanwa: “As for all of you, your nature/ways are evil. You are like a married woman who is habitually-immoral, who doesn’t have any concern for her marriage, for that’s what you are doing to God. You say you are asking for a sign, but none will be shown to you, except that sign which was illustrated in what Jonas experienced.’ And then he left them and went away.” (Source: Tagbanwa Back Translation)
- Tenango Otomi: “Concerning the people who live now, they are evil people who do not know God. First they must see the miracle before they will believe in me. But there will not be another miracle now, only that which Jonah went through will take the place of a sign for the people now.’ He left the people and went.” (Source: Tenango Otomi Back Translation)