The name that is transliterated as “Abraham” in English is translated in Spanish Sign Language with the sign signifying “hold back arm” (referring to Genesis 22:12). (Source: John Elwode in The Bible Translator 2008, p. 78ff.)
“Abraham” in Spanish Sign Language (source)
The Greek that is translated as “angel” in English versions is translated as ngaṉka ngurrara (“one who belongs in the sky”) in Pintupi-Luritja. (Source: Ken Hansen quoted in Steven 1984a, p. 116.)
In Shipibo-Conibo it is translated as “word-carriers from heaven,” in Tetela, Kpelle, Balinese, and Chinese as “heavenly messengers,” in Shilluk “spirit messengers,” in Mashco Piro as “messengers of God,” in Batak Toba as “envoys, messengers,” in Navajo as “holy servants,” (source for this and above: Bratcher / Nida 1961), in Central Mazahua “one of God’s workers” (source: Ronald D. Olson in Notes on Translation January, 1968, p. 15ff.), in Tonga (Zambia) as “messenger from heaven” (source: Loewen 1980, p. 107), in Saramaccan as basia u Masa Gaangadu köndë or “messenger from God’s country” (source: Jabini 2015, p. 86), in Mairasi as atatnyev nyaa or “sent-one” (source: Enggavoter 2004), in Shipibo-Conibo as “word bringer” (source: James Lauriault in The Bible Translator 1951, p. 32ff.), and in Apali as “God’s one with talk from the head” (“basically God’s messenger since head refers to any leader’s talk”) (source: Martha Wade).
See also angel (Acts 12:15).
Following are a number of back-translations of Hebrews 2:16:
- Uma: “So, we know: it is not angels that he helps, it is we the descendants of Abraham [emphatic] that he helps.” (Source: Uma Back Translation)
- Yakan: “It is clear that it is not angels who were helped by him. But as is written in the holy-book, ‘The ones he helps are the descendants of Ibrahim.'” (Source: Yakan Back Translation)
- Western Bukidnon Manobo: “And it wasn’t the angels that He helped but rather, we (incl.) the descendants of Abraham are the ones that He helped.” (Source: Western Bukidnon Manobo Back Translation)
- Kankanaey: “It is clear that it is not angels he is helping but rather us people who are counted/considered as Abraham’s descendants.” (Source: Kankanaey Back Translation)
- Tagbanwa: “Of course it’s not the angels that he is helping in this but rather we who are believing/obeying him, we who are like the descendants of Abraham.” (Source: Tagbanwa Back Translation)
- Tenango Otomi: “Now, Jesus did not come to help the angels. Rather it is the people who follow the faith of Abraham that he came to help.” (Source: Tenango Otomi Back Translation)