In Hindi a differentiation is made between the way that the different persons of the Trinity are addressed by a regular person or by another person of the Trinity. When Jesus addresses God the Father or when God the Father addresses Jesus, a familiar form of address is used, unlike the way that any of them would be addressed with a honorific (pl.) form by anyone else.
Source: C.S. Thoburn in The Bible Translator 1963, p. 180ff.
Following are a number of back-translations of John 17:18:
- Uma: “Like Father sent me here to the world, so also I send them going to other people in the world.” (Source: Uma Back Translation)
- Yakan: “I have told them to go to the people in the world, as I was told by you to come to the world.” (Source: Yakan Back Translation)
- Western Bukidnon Manobo: “Just like you sent me here to the earth, I will also send them so that they may preach to all mankind.” (Source: Western Bukidnon Manobo Back Translation)
- Kankanaey: “Because here-now I am sending them to their companions in this world just like the way you (sing.) sent me.” (Source: Kankanaey Back Translation)
- Tagbanwa: “In the way in which you sent me to go teaching here among the mass of people who are sinners, like that too I am now sending them, that they too go and teach the people who are still far from you.” (Source: Tagbanwa Back Translation)
- Tenango Otomi: “Just like you have sent me to the world, so also I have appointed them to speak the word among the people.” (Source: Tenango Otomi Back Translation)