The Greek that is typically translated in English as “sign” is translated in Huehuetla Tepehua as “thing to be marveled at” (source: Larson 1889, p. 279) and in Mairasi as “big work” (source: Enggavoter 2004).
the Hebrew and Greek that is translated with “sword” in English is translated in Tepeuxila Cuicatec as “machete that is sharp on two sides,” in Lalana Chinantec as “machete” and in San Mateo del Mar Huave as “knife.” (Source: Viola Waterhouse in Notes on Translation August 1966, p. 86ff.)
See also two-edged sword.
Following are a number of back-translations of Revelation 13:14:
- Uma: “That surprising sign he did with the power/authority from the first animal. With that surprising sign he deceived the people who live on earth and ordered them to build an idol, their way of honoring that first animal. That first animal is the animal that was cut with a sword but he still lived.” (Source: Uma Back Translation)
- Yakan: “Many people were deceived and influenced by him because of his amazing deeds that he did by the power from the first creature. The people were told by the second creature to make a statue to honor the creature that had been wounded by the weapon but was healed.” (Source: Yakan Back Translation)
- Western Bukidnon Manobo: “And by means of the miracles which he was permitted to do in front of the first beast he deceived all mankind on the earth. Then he commanded people to make an image of the first beast and to worship it. That first beast had been struck by a sword, but he did not die.” (Source: Western Bukidnon Manobo Back Translation)
- Kankanaey: “So he deceived the unbelieving collective-people on the earth because of the amazing signs that he was permitted to show in his serving of the preceding animal. And he instructed them to make an animal-image with-which-to-worship the preceding animal who had been wounded with a sword but was nonetheless still alive.” (Source: Kankanaey Back Translation)
- Tagbanwa: “He deceived/lured all the people here in the world through those amazing things he was doing which that first monster was causing to be done. He commanded the people to make an image made like that first monster who had been wounded with a bladed-weapon but lived anyway.” (Source: Tagbanwa Back Translation)
- Tenango Otomi: “He was given power to do miracles while he was with this fellow terrible animal, the first one. It wanted to deceive the people all over the world so they would go with them. It told the people to make an idol which would appear like the face of the terrible animal which had been wounded with a sword and then the wound had healed.” (Source: Tenango Otomi Back Translation)