The name that is transliterated as “Abraham” in English is translated in Spanish Sign Language with the sign signifying “hold back arm” (referring to Genesis 22:12). (Source: John Elwode in The Bible Translator 2008, p. 78ff.)
“Abraham” in Spanish Sign Language (source)
See also our ancestor Abraham.
The Hebrew and Greek that is translated as “tithe” in English (which etymologically has the meaning of “the tenth”) is translated in Mokole as “(give) the tenth part.” This is the translation that most languages use that don’t use a specialized term like English does. See also complete verse (Hebrews 7:4) et al.
Source for Mokole: Hilary Deneufchâtel.
Following are a number of back-translations of Hebrews 7:9:
- Uma: “The priests descendants of Lewi do get one-tenth-part from their companions. But we can say: those priests descendants of Lewi pay/paid one-tenth-part to Melkisedek.” (Source: Uma Back Translation)
- Yakan: “If this is explained, (it means that) Libi, the ancestor of the priests who receive tithes from the people was also included giving his tithes to Malkisadik when Ibrahim gave his tithes to Malkisadik.” (Source: Yakan Back Translation)
- Western Bukidnon Manobo: “And as for Levi, who is the ancestor of all of the priest of the Jews, we understand also that when Abraham gave the tenth part to Melchizedek, Levi gave also to Melchizedek.” (Source: Western Bukidnon Manobo Back Translation)
- Kankanaey: “Fourth, even plural Levi who are given a tenth, we can say that they were joined-to Abraham in giving a tenth to Melkizedek,” (Source: Kankanaey Back Translation)
- Tagbanwa: “Therefore we could say that even Levi, who was the source/ancestor of those receiving a tenth part from the Israelita, by the hand of Abraham it’s like he also gave a tenth part there to Melquisedec.” (Source: Tagbanwa Back Translation)
- Tenango Otomi: “Again now, the priests of the Jews who now live take the tenth from the people. But all these priests are those of whom the root is Levi who was the first of them. And as for Levi, it was Abraham who was his root. Therefore when Abraham took a tenth and delivered it over to Melchizedek, then this Levi and all the rest of the priests would be said to also be delivering the tenth to Melchizedek.” (Source: Tenango Otomi Back Translation)