The Greek that is translated as “the ends of the earth (or: world)” is translated in Bilua as “the bottom of the sky” (= horizon) (source: Carl Gross), in Western Highland Purepecha as “beyond the horizon” (source: Nida 1947, p. 158), and in Chicahuaxtla Triqui as “to the far horizons” (source: Waterhouse / Parrott in Notes on Translation October 1967, p. 1ff.).
See also to the ends of the earth.
Following are a number of back-translations of Romans 10:18:
- Uma: “But let’s not say/think like this: ‘The Israel people, they haven’t yet heard the Good News.’ They have heard it! In the Holy Book it is written like this: ‘The News spread to the whole world, Those words were announced to all mankind.'” (Source: Uma Back Translation)
- Yakan: “But there is something I ask: Didn’t the people of Isra’il hear the story/news about Isa Almasi that’s why they do not believe? They indeed really heard. For the holy-book says, ‘The people commanded by God are telling all people and their words are well-known in the whole world/earth.'” (Source: Yakan Back Translation)
- Western Bukidnon Manobo: “And certainly someone will say, ‘No wonder the Jews didn’t believe, because they haven’t heard this preaching.’ However, it’s not possible that they haven’t heard, for there is a written word of God which says, ‘As for this word, the telling of it has spread to all mankind, and there is no end to where it has been spread,’ he said.” (Source: Western Bukidnon Manobo Back Translation)
- Kankanaey: “All right, let me ask this. Is it perhaps possible that the Jews didn’t hear concerning Cristo? They indeed heard, because what God caused-to-be-written says, ‘Their words/voices/speech have been heard in even any place; what they have said has been made-known in all towns/countries on the earth.'” (Source: Kankanaey Back Translation)
- Tenango Otomi: “But concerning the Jews, in that they did not believe the word, is that they didn’t hear about the word? Truly they heard about the word. Because it says in the Holy Book the word which says: ‘This word, everywhere is heard this word spoken by the preachers. Because the word is taken all over the world.'” (Source: Tenango Otomi Back Translation)