In Hindi a differentiation is made between the way that the different persons of the Trinity are addressed by a regular person or by another person of the Trinity. When Jesus addresses God the Father or when God the Father addresses Jesus, a familiar form of address is used, unlike the way that any of them would be addressed with a honorific (pl.) form by anyone else.
Source: C.S. Thoburn in The Bible Translator 1963, p. 180ff.
Following are a number of back-translations of John 17:14:
- Uma: “I have told them your (sing.) word, with the result that people who do not believe hate them, because they are not their companions, like I also am not the companion of those who do not believe.” (Source: Uma Back Translation)
- Yakan: “I have passed-on/given to them your word/message. So-then they are hated by the people who do not follow you, because they do not follow/go-along-with the thinking of those people. They are like I am, I also do not follow/go-along-with the thinking of the people who do not follow you.” (Source: Yakan Back Translation)
- Western Bukidnon Manobo: “I am not asking that you take out of the earth these people who belong to us. Rather the thing that I am asking you is that you watch over them so that they may not be harmed by Satan.” (Source: Western Bukidnon Manobo Back Translation)
- Kankanaey: “I have made-known to them what you (sing.) have said, therefore those who don’t believe in me, they also hate them, because they are just like me, their character/behavior not being worldly like those who don’t believe.” (Source: Kankanaey Back Translation)
- Tagbanwa: “I’ve been able to speak your words to them, that’s why they are now hated by the mass of people who don’t believe-in/obey me, because they no longer harmonize with the crowd. An illustration of them is, they’re like me now who am not of this world here.” (Source: Tagbanwa Back Translation)
- Tenango Otomi: “The word which you sent for me to teach was looked favorably upon by them. But the people who did not look favorably on your word hated them who did. For they do not continue doing the evil like the people do. They do like I do, since I do not do the evil done by the people.” (Source: Tenango Otomi Back Translation)