The Greek term that is translated as a form of “save” in English is translated in Shipibo-Conibo with a phrase that means literally “make to live,” which combines the meaning of “to rescue” and “to deliver from danger,” but also the concept of “to heal” or “restore to health.”
In San Blas Kuna it is rendered as “help the heart,” in Laka, it is “take by the hand” in the meaning of “rescue” or “deliver,” in Huautla Mazatec the back-translation of the employed term is “lift out on behalf of,” in Anuak, it is “have life because of,” in Central Mazahua “be healed in the heart,” in Baoulé “save one’s head” (meaning to rescue a person in the fullest sense), in Guerrero Amuzgo “come out well,” in Northwestern Dinka “be helped as to his breath” (or “life”) (source: Bratcher / Nida), and in Nyongar barrang-ngandabat or “hold life” (source: Warda-Kwabba Luke-Ang).
In South Bolivian Quechua it is “make to escape” and in Highland Puebla Nahuatl, it is “cause people to come out with the aid of the hand.” (Source: Nida 1947, p. 222.)
See also salvation.
Following are a number of back-translations of John 12:47:
- Uma: “‘People who hear my words and do not follow them, it is not I who condemn them. Because it is not my intention to come to this world in order to condemn men. I came in order to free them from their condemnation/punishment.” (Source: Uma Back Translation)
- Yakan: “If there is a person who hears my teaching but does not follow/obey it, it is not I who will judge him. For I have not come to judge the people in the world, but I have come to save them.” (Source: Yakan Back Translation)
- Western Bukidnon Manobo: “And if there is a person who has heard my teachings and he does not obey them, I do not judge him worthy of punishment because I did not come here to the earth in order to punish mankind, but rather so that I might set mankind free from punishment.” (Source: Western Bukidnon Manobo Back Translation)
- Kankanaey: “‘As for the one who hears my words but he doesn’t believe/obey, I am not the one who will judge him. Because I didn’t come to this world to judge people but rather to save them.” (Source: Kankanaey Back Translation)
- Tagbanwa: “And whoever has heard my word, but he will not indeed follow/obey it, he will be sentenced to judgment, but it is not I who judges him. Because it is not my purpose in coming here that I will judge this world, but on the contrary I will save people.” (Source: Tagbanwa Back Translation)
- Tenango Otomi: “But there are those who hear what I say and do not pay attention. I do not sentence them because I did not come to sentence the people here in this world. Rather I came to save them.” (Source: Tenango Otomi Back Translation)